Thursday, August 28, 2008

Summer Projects: Revealed at Last!






So I wasn’t a total slug this summer. I actually accomplished a few things that have been on the table for a LONG time. I finished my quilt. People seem so amazed when they come to my house and I show them progress on my quilt. They seem flabbergasted that a person with four small children could have time to make a new quilt for my bed. I just humbly nod and shrug my shoulders as if I must be the most AMAZING housewife in the world. What I don’t tell them, and would appreciate if you don’t let on, is that I have been working on said quilt for darn near a year. So don’t get all down on yourself because you aren’t making these charming heirlooms…just do it like I do—take a really, really, really long time. And then the key is to act as if you just started it last week and *sigh* the binding, that I did by hand, was painstaking work…I was able to finish it in a few hours—but no pressure. Don’t tell them that you stretched the “handwork” out into days because it gave you an excuse to sit and watch “Stargate” and “Northern Exposure.” I mean watching TV is totally justified if you’re also handcrafting a masterpiece. If anyone needs binding work done…let me know, but make sure to drop off a few DVDs with the quilt.

I also made, as Alice calls them, “Muppets” of each of the kids to play with (of themselves). They’re darn cute, but not as big as a hit with the kids as I would have hoped.


And then the pillows. I made some pillows to go with this great bench that one of Dustin’s clients gave us. I LOVE the effect. The fabric was great…I love expensive fabric…you can’t really go wrong.



As for now, I have two projects that I’m now working on. Isaac and Elise have requested a quilt for Christmas and I’ve happily aquired fabric for it and a GREAT idea. Let’s see if I can pull it off. Also I am happy to quilt and bind (again, the binding) a quilt that Marty’s wife, Bonnie, pieced. She did an amazing job…I hope that I can quilt it to her expectations. Also, I hope that she wasn’t expecting it any time soon. So, now that school’s in…maybe I’ll have time to finish these other projects.

Tell me honestly though, don’t you just LOVE the binding on my quilt?

11 comments:

daisy said...

I KNOW what you did this summer and I am now even more amazed you got it and all that done. I wish I could be more like you.

Isaac and Elise said...

I have no kids and only work 2-3 days (or nights) a week and still don't get accomplished any cool projects. I also asked you to make us a quilt. You are amazing Emily. I have to say I lucked out getting you as a sister in law.

sadie said...

I need you to come close so I can watch DVDs...I mean start more projects. I have about twenty lined up (DVDs and projects), and I need some help getting started.

Mandy said...

I'm SO impressed. You quilt, you make puppets, you raise chicks, you raise kids...you do it all. You should write a book about being homemaker of the year! I love the quilt....i can't belive you did that!!! One year on a project isn't bad. I started edging a quilt for Jace when I was about 6 months pregant....he's not 3 and it's still not done. I guess I need more DVD's!

Mandy said...

I meant pregnant...not pregant..whatever that is.... wow!

jami v. said...

i'm impressed too! wow, wow, wow ... is there anything you can't do??? :)

annie said...

I racked my brain trying to come up with a way to one-up you. I got nothing.

Brooke said...

the muppets are the best--and you photographed them in the same poses as the pic of your kids. how cute is that? they'll appreciate them more someday. now will you make some of harry and miles?

and the binding on your quilt is the perfect compliment to the blues and browns. so nice.

nana said...

beautiful!!!

Katie beth said...

Yeah, a year is kind of slow. You should try to work on that.
Are you kidding me I'd be lucky to finish something like that in 5 years! You are far more superior.

Bookfool said...

I love the binding on your quilt. Love the quilt, too.