Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Aaaaaah, School.

It happens every year. One minute I’m smiling, all misty-eyed, as I watch my kids laughing and running through the sprinklers at sunset. A perfect ending to a perfect summer day. And I think, “I just want it to be like this forever and never want to send them to school.” And then, a few days before school starts, when I’m wrenching my heart out on a daily basis because I’m going to miss them so much… there’s a sudden shift in the universe, or something like that, and I’m screaming at them that I’m so glad that school is starting because I can’t stand another second of the infernal and constant noise level. Then, WHAM, perfect timing…school does start and everyone’s happy, especially me.

4 comments:

sadie said...

I think you'll start to reap the rewards even more once Alice starts going to school. It'll be a healthy change for everyone.

daisy said...

That's good you have those moments when your heart wrenches thinking of them leaving.... I wonder what that feels like.

nana said...

tears... and laughs...

Kale for Sale said...

Thank you. I needed an update. Is Alice still wearing her backpack over her pajamas every morning? Is Lily taking college prep courses? Has Canyon's rare genius been recognized and did you let him wear one of those sleeveless tank tops he loves to school? And not to leave Jane out, would you please hug her for me. Someday she'll let me close enough to do it myself. I hope.