Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Light at the End of the Tunnel.


Jane: the spring in my step.


I am starting to get these little bursts of unexplained excitement. And I couldn’t quite put my finger on what was driving this joy into my heart, and renewed spring in my step. I finally figured out what it was on our last quick trip to Logan to see Nana & Papa. Are you ready for it? Here’s the big unveiling: we are growing out of the baby years. Whew. It’s an amazing feeling. We could drive without stopping to nurse a baby every few hours, without having to bring all the equipment that babies inevitably bring. We were all able to face forward in the van, we were all able to sleep in the same room, we were all able to eat the same food, and we only had to bring one size of diaper for a baby who can tell us when she went poo. Those of you who are entrapped in the baby years…must certainly understand my elation. I only hope the best for those of you who are immersed in it…but am happy to never look back. I will happily hold your newborns, cuddle them, feed them, put them down for naps, and then…I will hand them back over to you when it’s time for bed, or when they won’t stop crying. Please rejoice with me! (And, cross your fingers because that last 99.9% birth control method didn’t work.)

Beside this point…we had a wonderful time in Logan. The kids’ favorite part was climbing up and down papa’s mountain into the “hundred acre woods.” Alice loved some one-on-two date time with mom and dad at the Aggie/Utah game (Lily and Canyon wisely opted out). We loved playing with cousins, babies, aunts, uncles, seeing the pond at the Zollinger farm, eating tons (literally) of AMAZING nana food, going to the farmer’s market to see all the democrats assemble, and visit and laugh and talk with the Joneses. We can’t wait to come again, and should come when the hundred acre wood is covered in that white stuff (snow? is it called?).


Dustin and Alice on the "mountain"


Lily



Dr. Indie Canyon Prusso (Dr. of Archeology, of course)

5 comments:

daisy said...

I am right there with you Em!!!!

tami said...

Emily, we were so sad to not see you guys this weekend, we were really looking forward to it. Next time. Or we'll come visit you, whichever happens first. You'll have to tell Laurie thank you for the doll - Ella loves it - she's named it Maple and has made a bed on the floor for her. So cute. Say Hi to the kids for us. Dustin included, of course.

Marty Reeder said...

Yeah, yeah. No diapers. No nursing. But we all know that babies grow out of cute and become ugly. Now you'll just be surrounded by ugly all the time, but we can constantly renew our cuteness with another baby until our ugly kids grow up and give us grandkids.

Maybe I should check to see how Bonnie feels about that.

sadie said...

Can you explain this to your other kids--that Jane isn't a baby anymore. I'm sick of hearing Alice ask me why CJ can't talk or walk, yet. When I tell her he is only a baby, she counters, "Jane's a baby." That's an argument I can't win.

jami v. said...

ah. i will admit i am slightly jealous of the "beyond baby" years. :)

sounds like good times in logan. maybe we'll see you when that white stuff hits the ground - we're thinking of heading that way too. :)

ps-sadie and marty crack me up. honestly. you reeders and your humor. :) good stuff.