Monday, January 4, 2010

Little House by the Vineyard.



Our slaves Lily & Jane drying and putting away dishes.

So I guess that Ma Ingalls knows how to live without. There were times in her illustrious career as a pioneer mom where she lived on brown bread alone. And no white sugar, not even for company. However, Ma’s got nothing on me. I am a living, breathing pioneer. It all started this summer when the microwave broke. Who needs a microwave anyway? We’ve been living microwave free for six months now and I haven’t missed it for even a second (actually it’s really the only way to melt butter to room temperature without actually leaving the butter out in room temperature). Ok, maybe for a second. But, let’s be honest, one can live without a microwave. Then one of the faucets on my kitchen sink went out. No biggie, you only need one faucet on a kitchen sink. After all, Ma didn’t even have a kitchen sink, let alone a faucet attached to one. Then the TV went out. Don’t panic, we went out and bought a new one the next day—even Ma would agree to that. Now, most recently we have lost our dishwasher. Ok, now I’m starting to notice.

So, I’m washing dishes by hand. You heard it, by hand. It’s been a great experience for the kids and the dishwasher makes a superb drying rack. Really, I could get used to this.

So where is my contractor husband through all of this? He’s at work, fixing other people’s microwaves/sinks/dishwashers. Someone’s got to make a living.

After I finish washing all the dishes from dinner last night, I’m going to go and watch TV.

Signing off,
Ma

My new dishwashing apron. Much cheaper than a new dishwasher.

P.S. I don't want to hear other people's sob stories about how they lived for years without a dishwasher (Brooke, Isaac), just be impressed. Ok? And feel sorry for me, a little.

10 comments:

daisy said...

Good for you! I've always thought you lived life like a pioneer; cooking things from scratch, killing, plucking, and eating your chickens, growing a garden, etc. etc. BUT nothing is as pioneer as not having a washer for 2 weeks and a dryer for 5. Granted I borrowed my neighbors washers and then hung our clothes throughout our house. Fun times. Cute apron, though! It would have been cuter with your face though.

Emily said...

Dear Daisy,
You win.

Your best sister,
Emily

roylancemommy said...

So funny....I love the kids on the counter. That's how I reach things :) Love that apron. I hope you get a new dishwasher soon; do you have a good lotion for your hands?

Brooke said...

Emily, I never had to be a dishwasher with a household of 6. So, you win hands down. Don't you think aprons make housework more fun? I agree with Daisy that you should have got your face in the picture. But I understand if it was Jane that took it.

Emily said...

Trust me Daisy and Brooke, my face is still lovely...it is true that Jane took the picture. I don't know what it is but she insists on cutting people's heads out.

sadie said...

Until you start using cloth diapers, I don't want to hear about it.

Kym said...

Hey Stranger, you just had a birthday. I hope it was happy!! I thought of you and just thought I'd check in to see how things were going. Glad to see that life on the frontier is doing you well! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Marty Reeder said...

Em, I can sympathize. Our dishwasher did not break down, but when they started making pay cuts at the school, Bonnie and I were looking at ways to save money at home.

Hmmmmm, we could cancel our Netflix account. HA! And we could also stop breathing oxygen, while we're at it.

So, just as you mentioned, we discovered that the dishwasher makes for a great dish rack. I started washing dishes in the sink and leaving on the dishwasher rack to dry. It worked marvelously. I subsequently told Bonnie that would could instigate a No Dishwasher Days (similar to our infamous No Drive Day budget saver) and save money from the water and power that the Dishwasher normally uses. Bonnie said that as long as I washed the dishes on every No Dishwasher Day, we could do it.

For some reason, it never got traction after that. So, it is with great respect that I salute you on your continuous No Dishwasher Days!

Mandy said...

Why is it our husbands can fix everything the neigbhors seem to have broken, but when it comes to our own....we make do? I am most impressed with the microwave. Really? I use mine about 20 times a day. I'm not sure I could go 6 days, let alone, 6 months. You area true pioneer. Way to go! :)