Tuesday, June 3, 2008

On Farming: Of Life and Death



I am officially a very successful mother hen. Apparently it’s not easy to hatch chicken eggs, so in anticipation of being very bad incubators…we decided to start with 48 eggs. The idea being that several wouldn’t be fertilized, several wouldn’t develop right, and several would be instantly killed by curious little hands. We were thinking that we’d get, maybe, 20. So after three weeks (21 days exactly) of monitoring temperature, turning the eggs three times a day, and sleepless nights of worry because I believed that I “cooked” them—by the way, pregnancy’s a breeze—the eggs began hatching.

It began on the 20th day when I was turning the eggs and heard some distinct chirping. In surprise, I stopped turning the eggs and the sound stopped. I thought maybe there was a bird hiding out in the basement or something…but I couldn’t find one. I continued to turn and, there it was again. I thought I was a little crazy, so I called Jeremy and he said: “Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you, you can hear the birds chirping through the eggs. It means that they’re getting close.” Minor detail.

That night, while we slept, three chickens hatched. By the time I got home from swimming there were six. After breakfast, there were eight. By that night there were fourteen. By the next morning, twenty. And throughout the day, the counting finally stopped at forty-two. So, as a mother hen, I’m 95%. The rooster, apparently, was a great fertilizer (as any who are willing to observe the chickens for more than five minutes can tell you), most developed well (we got a couple who couldn’t walk), and they weren’t killed by curious hands…oh wait, yes, they were. We lost seven after the mob of “gentle” children-handling. So. Thirty-five chicks. Anyone interested in adopting a few?



On a different note. The rooster had now fulfilled his usefulness, and seeing how he was starting to attack the children, we decided to KILL it. Jeremy came over with a hatchet and did the job. I will spare you the details, but for anyone who’s interested, I filmed it and you are welcome to view it at your next visit (no, I’m not going to put it up on youtube). Suffice it to say, chickens do really run around for several minutes after their head is severed from their body. We are expecting at least one of the thirty-five new chickens to replace him. The rest we’ll eat.

All in a days work on the farm.

10 comments:

daisy said...

Yum. I'm hoping for BBQue chicken when we come out for Lily's baptism. And don't tell Parly and Clayre that they can bring one or two home for pets. They can not!

annie said...

good food storage. you just need to fix up your bomb shelter and your set in case of emergency. we all had fun at the farm today. thanks again.

sadie said...

A little morbid but cool.

Emily said...

Ah, my most favorite stalker "outed." We loved visiting with you and your darling kids! Come see us again sometime.

nana said...

I remember watching Aunt Jenny kill the chicken for dinner, and watched it run around without a head... it was hard for a "city" girl from La Grande to eat that chicken and noodles that night at the farm... but sounds like we just needed a Jeremy to do the job...

Marty Reeder said...

Just another day on the farm, huh?

Are ya goin' inta town soon fer a sack a taters or flaur?

jami v. said...

emily - i found your blog through mandy's. hope you don't mind me "lurking" around to see what you're up to. :) always an adventure huh? :) i loved catching up a little bit and seeing your cute kids ... kids. can you believe that we have kids?? :) who would have thought, looking at us trapsing around the neighborhood in dress-ups, etc. :) xoxoxo jami (leishman)

Emily said...

Jami,
So glad that you're lurking! How do I see your blog? Or even Mandy's for that matter. I'd love to see what you're up to.

jami v. said...

emily-i don't know what happened but you used to be able to click on my name and it would take you there ... oh well ... www.thevernies.blogspot.com (i don't remember mandy's but you can click on her comment from mine)

Mandy said...

Emily..you've been discovered!! ;) I had a weird dream...we were by the canal, i'm not sure what we were doing, but me, you, Daisy, and some random boy were in the weeds, by the water. I know, totally random...but since then, I've been thinking about you. I ran into your mom and dad last week and they couldn't remember your email, so they gave the family blog address. I'm so glad!! I have loved reading about you and your kiddies! I hope you're well...and planning a trip to visit soon!