Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Somthing About the Christmas Season.






I know that my parents agree that In-N-Out Burger is a magical place. Well, we have proof. We went to In-N-Out for dinner the other night for dinner. It was one of those rare occasions when I didn’t make dinner and Dustin was too hungry for pancakes (usually he’s totally ok with pancakes). We got all the food and all six of us squeezed into a little booth. We were just being our natural charming selves, eating our fries, fighting over shakes and guarding our diet coke with an unrivaled passion (that last one was mostly me), when a man came over to our table. Dustin said later that he was sure that the guy was panhandling and was drumming up an excuse not to give him some money when he said: “I hope that you and your kids have a Merry Christmas,” set something on the table and jetted out the door. It took us a few moments to realize that he had so casually given us a hundred dollar bill. Wow. Dustin’s mouth was officially opened in disbelief. It was a little weird and awkward at first, I mean who gives complete strangers a hundred dollars? Don’t get me wrong…the awkwardness wore off really fast. We then became infamous to that In-N-Out crowd.


Guy at the table next to us: “Wow, what just happened?”

Us: “That guy just gave us a hundred bucks.”

Him: “Wow, what’d he say?”

Us: “He just said Merry Christmas.”

Him: “Wow, you don’t see that everyday.”

Later, Dustin and I wondered why he gave us the money. As far as we know, we didn’t look too white trash, our kids were somewhat clean and we seemed to have plenty of French fries and burgers for everyone (we were making them share milkshakes though…). We finally decided that he was charmed by our family, Dustin’s obvious love for me, Lily’s witty remarks, Canyon’s freckles, Alice’s spunk, and Jane’s pretty smile. Our friends, respectfully, disagree. They think that it was the sheer number of kids—I mean we obviously have a lot of presents to buy. I like to think that we charmed him.

Anyway, as much as I would love to spend that money on me, me, and me—we decided that the best lesson to the kids would be to pay it forward. We’re going to the police station where they have a tree hung with cards stating the needs of some of the people in our community. We’re going to pick some, all go shopping together for the items and then return the gifts to the station. I hope that, because the kids are participating in this process that they can learn something about what Christmas is really about. However, in the mean time, I am happy to admit that charity is not dead and that there are decent and giving people out there in the world. And I just wanted to thank that random stranger for his gift and wish him a Merry Christmas.

10 comments:

Mandy said...

That is such a great story! Charity is alive and well, and what a great lesson for your kids. I'm sure it was that he was impressed with your loving family! :) Merry Christmas!! Are you coming here at all over the holiday's???

stina said...

Thanks for sharing! Hearing that kind of story really makes me smile!

sadie said...

You could send $20 or so our way. You know, in the spirit of giving and all.

daisy said...

That is so great! I don't think anyone would do that at our In-and-Out. And I love that you are paying it forward. Super teaching moment. Oh, and I am sure this person did see you as you truly are a really loving family.... with a lot of kids.

Brooke said...

I love that story. Good moment. Good family. Good choice on how to spend it.

Shayne said...

You did the right thing there, that is neat. Well done Prusso!

annie said...

That's the kind of sweet story that makes countless volumes of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" possible. I'm sure it had to be the charm too. Now I've got a hankering for In-and-Out:(

Hazelhofer said...

Hey there emily, I found your blog thru 2 other blogs. Kim Knight(caress), then Megan(ranney). Love the stories. Didn't know you had 4. Fun isn't it! Merry Christmas. Wendy

jami v. said...

that is seriously so great ... i love stories like that and i love them more when they happen to people i love. :) what a great thing to pay it forward, too... cool cool ...

merry christmas!! :)

Bookfool said...

That is an awesome, awesome story.