Monday, December 22, 2008

What's a girl to do?



So Alice, yes we’re talking about Alice again, is not like Lily. Maybe that is obvious to most of you parents out there…that your kids are different. It’s adjusting to these differences that takes a little effort. So Lily is not, except for a few month stint when she was two, the girly girl type. She’s not necessarily a tom boy, but she’s just less interested in princesses and the color pink. Alice was born a princess and Jane is quietly following suit. While embracing every whim and sensibility that define what a princess is…she has recently taken an interesting turn brought about by this household's OBSESSION with Star Wars. She officially LOVES Princess Leia and just to qualify the differences between Leia and, let’s say, Sleeping Beauty—in Alice’s own words (as she’s watching Princess Leia strangle Jabba the Hut): “Mommy, Princess Leia can save herself!” So the light went on and Alice realized that she doesn’t need a prince if she’s a Leia. Let’s just say that she’s not waiting for a prince to come and rescue her.

So when Alice insisted on a Barbie for Christmas I did what every self-respecting mother of a princess would do: I went to the Disney web site and found a myriad of Barbie princesses (on sale even). As I’m browsing through the Snow Whites and Cinderellas I casually ask Alice which princess she wants and….duh…she wants Princess Leia. So, the Leia barbies are only hundreds of dollars on ebay, collectables of course. They probably haven’t made a Leia Barbie since 1979. So, what’s a girl to do? So I pooled all of my mom resources and made myself a Princess Leia Barbie. My friend Jill who also happens to be an expert on barbies, a seamstress, and a creative mastermind agreed to make the Leia costume. Then she coached me on what Barbie to try and find to substitute for Leia. Apparently I needed to find a Barbie with hair already parted in the middle (so we could make the infamous buns) because, unbeknownst to me, you can’t just part a barbie’s hair wherever you want (these are the sorts of things I need to learn). I found a perfectly respectable Dorothy (Wiz of Oz) Barbie on Amazon for $12. She passed the Jill hair test and we were in business. The dress, of course, is perfect and to add to the outfit, I raided all of my friends, who are mothers of girls, Barbie stashes and stole some Hannah Montana boots from Trisha’s daughters. In case you didn’t know, Hannah Montana boots look a lot like Princess Leia boots. And finally, my talented sister-in-law, Trieste, personalized the cardboard suitcase I got for her and her Barbie. The whole ensemble: Barbie, dress, boots, suitcase, was much, much less than the ebay Leia—and, in my opinion, better. What Alice will probably never understand, maybe until she’s a mother, is how many people and resources pulled together to get her a Princess Leia doll—in the hopes that she can one day kick some Jabba butt.


9 comments:

Ashley said...

It is truly a Christmas miracle!

daisy said...

Wow! I am seriously impressed. And Shayne was wondering if you could help a guy out. Life size Lia?

stina said...

You are so cool! Love it. Why in the world wouldn't they keep making Lia dolls anyway? You'd think with all the other SW paraphernalia.... Especially since they have The Birds Barbie.

Hazelhofer said...

I am impressed! What a mom! Merry Christmas to you guys, it was good to here back from you.

tami said...

Oh, I love it! Good work! What fun these girls are... Ella's been asking Santa, (all 3 Santas we've seen), for a "train set hooked up to a tree house" We've looked everywhere, even Ebay doesn't sell them! We're getting creative, though, she'll be getting what she wants - in addition to what Santa already picked out for her a month ago!

Brooke said...

Kudos! I can only barely see the resemblance to Judy Garland, but probably only because you told me she was Dorothy Barbie.

Tami, I love Ella's request, think she's darling, but empathize with you as a parent on the hunt for the perfect gift.

jami v. said...

awesome...what a mom!! i think you are definitely in the runnings for mom of the year-if not the hands-down winner. :) i'm so very impressed!

Kale for Sale said...

Alice could already kick some Jabba butt. Even in her new pretty pink sweater dress. And if by chance she needed a little help her sisters would finish the job!

annie said...

That is a very cool doll indeed. My Charlie loves playing Star Wars with her brother, she fills the role of Princess Armadillo.