Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Conversation about Chickens.


A baby chicken hawk we found out by the coop one night.
It was smaller than the chickens but eying them with predatory instincts.
The chickens were FREAKING out.


We are living in a tiny ecosystem and even though it’s hard to imagine that nature is still natural in our little suburban bubble…it does exist. I am particularly talking about survival and chickens. We have had several instances of chicken death (besides the hatchet and roast chicken for Sunday dinner): our neighbor’s dogs, chicken hawks, perhaps an owl and now—a mystery predator. We think it’s either a coyote, fox, or even a possum or skunk? Not really sure, all we know is that something found our chickens and they’re reliving a culinary dream every night. We find the fence torn into, feathers EVERYWHERE and a missing chicken or chickens (sometimes with parts left behind). It’s a mystery and we can’t stop it. So here’s the conversation between my husband and I:

Dustin: You know, Ma would’ve figured out how to protect her chickens by now.

Me: Pa would’ve slept outside with his gun and killed whatever was getting his chickens.

Dustin: Pa would’ve been on his 40 mile trek to town with his pelts and his wheat; getting essential supplies to keep his family alive (you know, things like sugar and white flour).

Me: Well, Pa would’ve seen to it that Mr. Edwards was doing the chores and Mr. Edwards would have, FOR SURE, slept by the woodpile to kill the chicken killer. Or he would’ve at least left a gun above the door, loaded, for Ma to use. I’m just sayin’.

Dustin: speechless.

8 comments:

Papa said...

Your post caused me to do a ponder (hard to believe but true). I am amazed that when most people discuss nature, human beings are left out of the discussion. I want to shout, "I am nature too!" It's like why do humans have to potty 200 yards from the trail but horses can just let it go where ever they please. Anyway I'm cheering for the chickens but in a way I'm pulling for the predator.

J Bentham said...

Pa would've killed the beast that was eating the chickens--then would've walked over to the Oleson's and promptly shot Nellie. At least that is how I wanted it to happen...

daisy said...

Nice. Sorry Dustin, keeping the chickens alive would have been Pa's job. Of course times are changing so now.... I'm just sayin.

Brooke said...

You guys get to do "Little House" talk. I'm jealous.

William Prusso said...

Ok, I'm sidin' with Pa on this one. Somehow I can't see him wantin' them chickens in the first place. Keep walkin' Pa.

Shannon and Cameron said...

First of all, I had no idea you raised and killed your animals. How did you not say that to me within our first hundred conversations?? You are seriously amazing (and kind of crazy!!) I'm glad we can be blog buddies now!! :)

sadie said...

I'll sleep by the chickens. Would that solve anything. I'm not holding a gun, though. Maybe a slingshot.

Lisa said...

There's just no way for Dustin to win an argument with you that involves knowledge of "Little House". Give the poor guy a break.