Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ask a Parenting Expert.




Dear readers,

As you know I am a next to 'perfect' parent so this information isn't meant for me (you understand). However, many of you may be struggling with raising your children.

You know things like:
  • making your 9-year-old cry everyday when you say the most harmless words, "time to practice piano."
  • your 2 and 4-year-olds simply saying 'no' when you ask them to do things.
  • also, hearing the phrase, "I don't want to be your friend anymore." more frequently than you would like.
  • yelling at your children.
  • not really knowing what you're doing.
  • a 2-year-old that poops in her pants, but it's ok because "it's just a baby poop mommy."
  • a 7-year-old boy who refuses to cut his hair.
  • exactly four children who refuse to eat anything that requires 'time and effort' on my (I mean your) part.
  • this really high pitched screaming that only dogs should be able to hear, but unfortunately for me (I mean you), is somehow heard on a frequency that is heard throughout the neighborhood.
Like I said, I don't really know why it's so hard for some of you. I had to call some friends to get some examples of less than exemplary behavior. I know what you're thinking, quite a coincidence that the examples are all the same ages as my kids. I know, weird isn't it? Purely coincidental.

Anyway, my mother-in-law is quite a childhood development expert and is going to be participating in a teleconference. I don't know exactly how this works except that it's sort of like a podcast/radio interview that you listen to over your phone. She will be covering things like:

Participants will learn:
1. The 10 times that children are most likely to misbehave
2. Why what we say is not as important as how we say it
3. How to be Kind and Firm at the same time
4. That “inviting” cooperation is better than demanding compliance

I don't know about you, but those seem to be things that would be interesting to know, if in fact you had children who misbehaved. I'm not going to mention any names, but Sadie, this might be good for you and the Ceej. It might be time for him to start using a spoon (I was specifically thinking of Kind and Firm).

Here's the link to hook you up. You can thank me later.
Oh, yeah...and it's free.

Grandma Laurie's Sage Parenting Advice

Emily

4 comments:

jami v. said...

if only i needed something like that it sounds like it would be very beneficial. :) too bad my kids are perfect too!! hehe haha

sadie said...

Great. We could use some help. But I don't think I'm ready for CJ to use a spoon yet. The dog lapping is way too cute.

daisy said...

We should just let everyone out there know that you got ALL those examples from me. Really. The ages match up. I am definitely listening.

Marty Reeder said...

Hmmmm. Our darling three year old has not exhibited any of those signs, so I must conclude that your post is based on a fictional element. How about this: when you have a relevant blog posting, one that does not exclude perfect parents such as, ahem, myself, why don't you give me a holler so that I don't have to waste my time checking.