Thursday, September 24, 2009

On Fall in Northern California


Pizza Margherita. And yes, that's an ice-cold diet coke.

Fall is an interesting time of year round here. Even though I’ve lived here over a decade, I don’t think that I’ll ever get used to it. It’s very different from the orange fire mountain autumns I grew up with, but I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. To me, fall here seems warmer than summer, I think because the marine layer is less likely to blanket us each night and the “shorts and sweatshirts” (coined by my Aunt Linda) evenings of summer turn into shorts and tee shirts evenings. But I love it. There’s so many things to love about fall here. The way the light changes, subtly at first and then forcefully as the sun shines at us more from the south. The light patterns on the hardwood floor in our south facing family room elongate a little more each day. For the first time in months I close the bright white curtains and the light filters softly through giving the house a cool glow. Another thing I love about fall here is the harvesting of the vineyard grapes. They do it at night, all night long, under bright spotlights and humming motors. There’s something about harvesting the grapes, at their peek, in the coolness of night. But the smell of fermenting grapes left on the vine, while a little strong when you’re pregnant, can be an earthy complement to the coming change of seasons. I also love the sparkling ribbons they tie to the grape vines every few feet—to ward off the birds (so I’m told), I’m not sure if it works, though, because I see all kinds of animals partaking of the steamy purple grapes. But the effect of the hills sparkling is our version of a sparkling snow covered hill.

But the very best thing about fall this year, are the long-awaited tomatoes from our garden. We planted over 20 plants and we have a veritable jungle of the red-candy goodness. The kids go out there and pick and eat them like they’re berries. Jane and Lily especially love them. So yesterday I decided to do something with these…and I was craving a pizza so I made a pizza margherita with fresh basil and steaming tomatoes. I sent Canyon out to get me ‘three large red tomatoes’ and he obliged and it was so hot outside, nearly 100 degrees. He came in with gloriously large red tomatoes and as I cut them open tendrils of steam wandered off the cutting board into the air above the mozzarella and basil. Real steam. These were HOT! So to add to my ever growing list of fall favorites: steamy tomatoes—right up there with fermenting grapes.

Post edit: I realized after reading this again that some people might think I'm pregnant. I'm not, just remembering the smell of the fermenting grapes when I was pregnant and recalling how my sister-in-law, Trieste, would get absolutely sick at the briefest smell of the vineyard in fall. She wouldn't even come over to our house.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

I had phone in hand, thinking I had missed your prego annoucement so I am glad that you added a edit to your post.

Also the pizza looks good.

Let's make applesauce soon. Well as soon as the heat wave is over.

daisy said...

That pizza looks so good. Come and make me some.

Wife of a Traveler said...

I was prego twice during the fall. And it stinks...literally. I also hate how the sun angles down like that in the fall. I had to squint all the time. What else...I hated sweating at the pumpkin patch. But oh how I miss all of you. I went to RS tonight and there was no bread, and nobody was making fun of anybody. The one time I did I just got a dirty look....sniff.I guess I would take sweating at a pumpkin patch any day.

Emily said...

Trieste,
Sunglasses and short-sleeved shirts. Jeesh. What a whiner.

Ash,
I'm glad I caught that prego thing too. Although it probably would've got me a lot of comments.

sadie said...

Congrats on being pregnant!

Recipe for the pizza? It looks good.

Melissa said...

Great post. I was beginning to wonder when you mentioned the smell of the vineyard and then said you were craving pizza....

Marty Reeder said...

This is why I love fall. It means that my moment is coming. When we talk about favorite seasons, Bonnie always talks about how she loves spring for this reason and that, and summer, and most definitely fall (whichever season of those three that it is, those are her favorite). But she always leaves winter out of it. She never outright says that she doesn't like winter, but it is never included in the list of favorites ... and when the other three are, well, it is pretty telling.

I like fall, because it means that my season, winter, is coming.

I don't think our tomatoes steam when we cut them ... but that was a cool visual image.

Oh, and sorry for the long comment, but you knew I had to.

Oh, and congrats on the pregnancy. I'm sure little Marty will make you proud.

Trisha said...

Yummmy...and the pizza looks good too. I guess it went right over my head...never once did I think you were pregnant.

Mandy said...

The pizza looks awesome..you should share your recipe!
I did think for a second maybe you were making an announcement....your girls are getting older, you should do it! :)

Brooke said...

1) My mouth is watering because I want a bite of that pizza.

2) I think I will really miss California falls. They always threw me for a loop, though - I would constantly forget what time of year it was. However, the cold and the leaves changing here in CT is exhilarating.

3) I wish someone would make fun of me at RS stuff. Then I would probably actually go.

4) Don't you dare name your fetus Marty. It has to be a little Brook/Brooke. And he/she will make you much prouder than a little Marty.