Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Emily's French Bread.


Just before hitting that blast of heat.

In anticipation of the apology that I owe you for that last ‘rub it in your face’ post—and due to a frantic EMERGENCY phone call from Marty asking for my bread recipe…I have decided to post my ‘infamous’ French bread recipe in the hopes that you all will forgive me. So whip these babies up, make yourself a cup of soup, and wrap yourselves up in fleeces and blankets by the fire while I go outside to read my book in the sunshine (I think I got a sunburn today). This is especially for Marty and Bonnie and John (via Brooke) as a congratulations treat.

Ingredients:

¼ cup hot water
2 cups warm whole milk
5 teaspoons active dry yeast
some honey (a lot or a little, depending on your taste: maybe ¼ cup)
a pinch of sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon salt
6 ½ cups of flour (ish: ish means more or less if necessary)
oil for greasing

Method:

In a bowl, combine the water and ¼ cup of the milk. Sprinkle the yeast and the pinch of sugar over the liquid and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy.

In a mixer combine the remaining milk, the butter, the honey, salt and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until creamy. Add the yeast mixture and the remaining flour one cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the bowl sides. Knead on low speed until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the dough to an oiled deep bowl and turn the dough once to coat it. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 ½ hours.

Flour a smooth work surface, half the dough and role out half of it into a rectangle. Roll the dough up—like a tube—and use a knife to slash divots in it (is that a word) place on a greased cookie sheet and if you want to be really fancy sprinkle the cookie sheet with cornmeal first. Repeat with remaining dough. Then cover loosely with a cloth and let rise again (It usually takes less than an hour, but—as we’ve already determined it’s a lot warmer here) until it’s doubled. Another optional, but fancy, step is to lightly brush with egg white (this browns it real nice).



The rectangle size-ish.


The tubes: slashed and ready to burn.



Doubled in size and ready to bake.

Bake in the oven at 375 for about 25 minutes until the loaves are golden brown. Then slice, put some yummy butter (watch it melt), pig out, and wake up in the morning ten pounds heavier.

I guarantee you’ll love this bread and impress anyone who tries it. Good luck! If you are having any problems with this recipe…don’t call me.



Golden brown...smells so good!!!

12 comments:

Brooke said...

Yes. Now I just gotta get me that Kitchenaid. As a congratulations gift. :)

Marty Reeder said...

Holy cow, I can now call 911 and tell the authorities to stand down; the crisis has passed. Thank you and thank you again. We are going to have chili, and I cannot imagine venturing into such an arena without French bread.

You will forever be in our debt. Or at least until your next blog post.

roylancemommy said...

Thank-you so much for this awesome recipe!!! You have to give me your email address so I can add you to my blog.....I don't have quite the luck with bread and you'd probably laugh at the pic I posted about trying to make it! When are we gonna quilt with Shannon? So excited...:)

Shannon and Cameron said...

Ok, you are now my designated teacher for
1. quilt making
2. bread making

And then I will take you to sushi to reward you. Have you read my latest blog post??

Shannon and Cameron said...

And I WILL call you.

jami v. said...

it looks so good i can almost smell it through the computer!

sadie said...

Great. Now I just need someone to make it for me.

Shayne said...

All is forgiven. Not really because of a bread recipe but because it is 65 degrees here and I just got off the golf course. I love how your dad has the temps of Livermore, St George, and Logan on his iphone. Why does he torture himself like that?

Wife of a Traveler said...

Emily, You dont miss me with all of your crazy internet friends..hump.

Anonymous said...

This bread is so freaking good. I would rather just come over and have a slice....many slices.

Trisha said...

Jack pot...I made a lot bread this past week..and it all just didn't measure up..I kept thinking, if only I could make bread like Emily. And then I find this. Guess I am going to be making bread this week too.

Mandy said...

You are such the homemaker I can hardly stand it! I'm trying the bread....you're a cooking queen just like your mother! :) I miss her cinnamon rolls! I might have to give her a call and make her make me some!
I'm still waiting for the picture of gray hair! :)