Friday, February 6, 2009

On Sleeping.






So I had mentioned in the previous blog about Jane and her crib climbing adventures. We put a stop to it by just removing the crib altogether. Alice was still using the toddler bed and so armed with a gift certificate to IKEA we went in search of another toddler bed. Alas, unbeknownst to me the toddler beds at IKEA cost more than $125. I just couldn’t see myself spending more for a bed that was hopefully, oh so temporary. In the mean time we tried a little toddler bed of our nephews. Jane was so excited about it during the day…however, as soon as the sun went down it became her worst enemy.

We were all in tears every night (and by we I mean Alice, Jane and I) as we searched for a bedtime routine that would be reminiscent of the ol’ crib days. Ah, the nostalgia for the crib. One night Jane finally hopped in Alice’s tiny toddler bed with her and slept peacefully all night (I was in such shocking awe that I, unfortunately, didn’t get a photo of it). So my problem was solved. We brought the mattress up from the guest bed downstairs, plopped it on the floor, threw some semblance of a quilt on top and—ta da—we have ourselves a bed.




Here are two views of the new bed; with the little kitchen, the Trieste grow chart and the other with the reading chair & table.

Don’t get too excited yet it’s taken a few ornery-mom nights to get them to settle down, but I finally found the formula: bunny books in chair, lights out, ‘Little House’ for at least a chapter. It seems to be working. And, bonus, we get to learn things from Mary and Laura like ‘children should be seen and not heard,’ and other classic phrases of the like.


The book routine; it's delicate, like mixing a cocktail. Ahem. At least I think it is.

The only problem now is—we don’t have a bed for Nana and Papa. We’ll have to remedy that soon because we are BEGGING for a visit. (wink, wink)

7 comments:

daisy said...

That's why Clayre transitioned so well. Parly and Clayre shared a queen bed. It was magic.

jami v. said...

ah, i'm dreading that as we're getting cole ready for all that. in fact, last night at 11 as we were on our way to bed, there was cole. sleeping peacefully with his favorite animal and blanket curled on the top step of our staircase. who wouldn't be excited for a new bed?? oh the joys...

Brooke said...

I'm afraid if my kids shared a bed it would resemble WWF. Honestly.

I love the room. And I love those girls. Get a picture next time!

Anonymous said...

what about when I come visit in March? I guess I will sleep on the floor if I don't have to hear you complain on the phone anymore.
Krisanne

Mandy said...

I've been waiting for the day when Jace has to get into a bed! He's 3 1/2 and still won't get out of his crib. It's abnormal, but I love it. He can Carter want to share a room, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to delay that as long as possible!

sadie said...

Why don't Nana and Papa share the bed with the girls. Now that would be true Little House style.

Anonymous said...

Ooh this is fabulous! Cool Toddler Furniture and decoration ideas.