Friday, August 20, 2010

Raspberries


We spent the morning picking raspberries. I used to send the kids to do it on their own, but they always came back with a pitiful amount of berries and the excuse that they had picked all they could. I went with them this time to motivate them. We came back with a fair amount. More than usual. Jane was scared of the berry bushes for some reason and spent the whole hour asking Lily ‘why aren’t you scared?’


Picking the berries reminds me of my grandma. She had raspberry bushes too. I remember her dining room window overlooking the berries and plenty of hummingbird sightings with a white crock of raspberry jam for our toast shining in the middle of the table.


It was strange I was thinking about this because Canyon suddenly said:

“You know what’s funny about your mom’s family?”

“What.”

“Your mom’s name is four letters (Dona), her mom’s name is four letters (Idon), and her mom’s name is four letters (Erma).”


I guess the raspberries have this ‘Idon effect’ on more than just me. Canyon’s never met Grandma Idon or seen her berry bushes—but suddenly he was thinking of her as he thoughtfully squished the berries between his teeth.

3 comments:

sadie said...

Canyon is a genius. and raspberry jam sounds yummy. Or anything raspberry, really. But I'll have to settle for some Brigham City peaches. I'm not all that disappointed.

daisy said...

I love Canyon!

nana said...

I often cried at night because I so wanted my sweet grandchildren to sit at the feet of Grandma Idon or the edge of the bed of Grandma Erma... but they would never get the chance... but every day I realize something even better... they sit with their moms and dads and hear the delightfully wonderful stories!!!