Friday, August 27, 2010

With a Perspective.


Here I am in the recording studio.

I just wanted to leave a little note to tell you all I’m going to be on NPR. That’s right, I’m leaving the world with ‘my perspective.’


So our local NPR station has a series called ‘Perspectives,’ where they have local ‘regular’ people read their perspective about something. I always like listening to the perspectives and have thought that it might be fun to do it sometime. So last week, I thought, why not? So I sent in my perspective and they contacted me the next day to come in and record it. It was a pretty great experience. I got to go into San Francisco to the station and record in a real recording studio. For those of you in the Bay Area, I’ll just throw this out there… I got to sit in Michael Krasny’s chair.


The sound engineer, Howard, was extremely nice and talked me through my virgin recording experience. He said if I liked the sound of my voice that I would be like all the other ego driven voices at KQED and get a job there. I was nervous, but it was easy because it was just me, alone in the room, and Howard and Dustin in the control booth. I only had to read through my piece twice and we had to edit it a little to fit the time restrictions.


And guess what? I LOVE the sound of my voice.


Did I mention that they took a really, not so great, photo of me. Oh well. On the radio it’s all about how you sound, not how you look.


Oh, also, did I mention that I get paid. Yep. Just enough to cover the parking at the ferry building where we had dinner.


So, it airs Monday August 30th at 7:35 am. They’re also going to re-run it Saturday, September 4th at the same-ish time. I hope that you listen. Here’s how you can listen:


You can listen live, here.

And on the archives right here, for Monday, the 30th. (Ignore my extremely close-up photo)


I know, it’s not an ironman, but it’s the best I’ve got.

With a perspective, I’m Emily.


I look so natural in Michael's chair, no?

7 comments:

jami v. said...

ok ... i haven't visited forever (it keeps saying there's something evil on your site and wouldn't let me in until today ... what was your "perspective" all about?? hehe) ... but i'm glad to catch up.

i love the bday parties at your house ... i love that you don't have to do "new school clothes" and i love, love, LOVE that you got to do your perspective on npr. i can't wait to listen.

Rebecca said...

Emily, I can't wait to hear your perspective. I am not surprised that you like the sound of your voice, as you are one of the best church talk givers, (meaning a good storyteller), that I have heard. I still remember the time you shared some of your grandma's or was it great-grandma's journal. Don't you wish you could go back in time and rub shoulders with all those spunky Utah Mormon women or yore. Anyway, way to go on your new found fame.

Brooke said...

Of course you look natural in that desk! Emily, maybe this is the career you have been waiting for! You are a great writer and you love the sound of your voice. I think you should take Howard's words at face value. Except I wouldn't say you are ego driven--not really.

hanyon said...

Such a soothing voice! Radio, audio books, or discovery channel narrator? That is the only question. Of course it would be a waste to read others' material when you can produce and perform your own masterpieces.

Elise said...

I want you to come tell stories to my kids, your voice is as sweet as a midsummer's night. You are also much better at telling stories.

Vickie said...

WOW...That was great! You sounded so natural and I'm sure they're going to be calling you for more of your perspective.

daisy said...

That is way cooler than an Ironman. I've always thought your kids were super lucky to have you as their mom and I still do.