Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Easter Baskets



My homemade Easter baskets.
What do you think Trieste…do I have a good start?
April Fools (a few days too late)…these are Martha Stewarts’s.

So Trieste and I are having this Easter basket “challenge” and I have to say…I don’t know what I got myself into. Lily’s mini-masters is killing us, because I have to load up all the kids to go to the club for 45 minutes. All, and I mean all, of my energy is in trying to organize the kids, all their swimming gear (towels, goggles, diapers)—plus the usual baby entourage (stroller, diaper bag, pacifiers, etc). People here, especially at the club, just stare at me. Four kids is pretty much an anomaly and I get quite a few comments. We had a great time once we were there, though. Lily swam with her team, Canyon swam, swam, swam in the kiddie pool and Alice and I slowly got comfortable in the water (by the end she was fairly comfortable and attempting to try some Canyon tricks). Jane watched the festivities happily from her stroller. So I was thinking, as I’m playing with my kids in the water, in early April, in California, that money can buy happiness. That a membership to this exclusive club is just what we need and then, inevitably it happens, we have stayed 30 seconds longer than the kids can handle. Suddenly the sun is going down, the wind is picking up, Alice is freezing and wants nothing more than to put on her pajamas. Canyon doesn’t want to get out. Jane is starting to realize that she hasn’t eaten for a few hours. Lily’s energy disappears in one instant and she turns into a popsicle. And everyone, especially me, is STARVING. So, due to poor planning, we end up grabbing some fast food and just trying to survive through dinner, putting Alice to bed an hour earlier than usual—because she is exhausted. Then we bathe Canyon and baby Jane, finally coax Lily out of the shower (she is still hypothermic at this point), pajamas, brush teeth (yes Daisy, we brush teeth every night), and bed. Deep breath. Then, laundry, clean kitchen…I guess at some point I’ll have to work on those damn baskets. Thanks Trieste. I hope you win. Actually, with this blog—I’m attempting to get the sympathy vote from the judges.

6 comments:

Marty Reeder said...

Em, if you bought your own pool with a couple of full time lifeguards, you wouldn't have to worry about those things happening. Stick to your thesis: money can buy happiness.

By the way, I think you've got the whole Easter basket thing in the bag ... er ... basket. Trieste will probably do some crazy thing like try to grow a basket out of the ground or something, and then she'll end up with a mound of dirt with a leaf stuck in it.

daisy said...

Sounds like an extremely fun day...when do you get to do it all over again? Tomorrow, right?

You should live by us then Lily can walk to school (no loading up all the kidies), Canyon can carpool to our preschool 1/2 mile away with 3 other moms, so you only drive once every 4 times. The swimming pool is close enough to leave you baby sleeping in her crib and just drop Lily off and pick up later. I won't go on...but all this without money.

Brooke said...

I'm totally full of sympathy. For real.

Emily said...

Daisy, thanks for rubbing it in. At least we have a "huge" back yard, I'll refer you to Lily's blog.

Brooke said...

Oooh yeah. I have lots of sympathy for someone with adult ADD. But I have a million times more admiration for someone who grows something for their basket (or actually grows the basket) than sympathy for people in general.

Lisa said...

You've got my undying sympathy. Seriously. You're a nut. :)